Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Wild West, Mountain Men, and Fashion Inspiration Part 1

My two daughters have both studied Utah history this year in school which means that I have also studied it by default (why do my children's homework projects always end up being a 95/5% split among me/them? I'm trying to do better at relinquishing control!). Additionally, I've been obsessed with the AMC TV series "Hell On Wheels" which captures the building of the Transcontinental Railroad in gripping historical fiction. As you likely know, the Transcontinental Railroad was completed high in the Wasatch Mountains at Promontory Point, Utah in 1869 and I really love living in the shadows of those beautiful mountains. The mining, trapping, railroading, and homesteading history of Utah is fascinating and I'm glad to be learning more about my home state since I'm originally a transplant.

While frantically trying to design and create a few looks for a big project I'm working on, I decided I may as well run with the thoughts I already had in my brain and use Utah's interesting history as my inspiration. I couldn't stop thinking about the amazing natural resources that the Beehive State has to offer, so I got to sketching with silver, ore, coal, fur, ice, snow, water, and aspen trees on my mind. I'm thrilled by the results and feel an unusually emotional connection to some of these pieces because they represent everything I love about Utah.

This evening look was inspired by Provo Canyon where the pristine Provo River meanders between jagged granite deposits and the dichotomy between hot and cold (a constant struggle here in the high desert!).
  I added a large, antique brass clasp to the back of the shrug to add some contrast between the heavy, structured shrug and the slinky slip dress. 
 I love the way this photo captures the essence of Utah's mountain terrain and climate; cold and mud require boots!

I'm excited to share with you the other looks in my historical Utah mini-collection! I hope they inspire you to find and celebrate the beauty in your surroundings.  Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment